Sunday, September 15, 2013

A much needed R&R!

I took a few extra days off over Labor Day weekend to recharge my batteries. Mom, Claire and I headed north to God's country, Ely, MN. It had been a few years since I had been up there and forgot how much I enjoy this little piece of heaven. My aunt Corinne and uncle Jim, retired to this little gem of a place a few years ago and always love to have company. It is more of a retreat than a vacation. You sleep in, eat a lot of food, showering is optional, makeup is prohibited, and most of all, you have to enjoy just sitting outside and enjoying the beauty. It was so fun to hang out with my best girls! The first day mom and I had scheduled massages and pedicures at the pebble spa. I got my first hot stone massage and probably will never have anything else ever again! The staff were really sweet to Claire while she waited for us, giving her a warm animal wrap for her shoulders and plenty to keep her occupied!



 After getting pampered, we hit up the local shops for some treasures and some lunch on the patio. 



Although it wasn't all that warm up there ( which was a NICE relief from the 100 degree heat wave we were having in Iowa) Claire insisted on taking a dip in the lake! I watched from the chair with a sweatshirt on! 


My aunt has a "craft room" so we took advantage of it and got crafty! I brought things to start Case's baby book (yes start!) mom worked on some craft show projects, and Claire colored this shirt with fabric markers! 
She also entertained herself with the bins and bins of Barbie dolls she found! 
The second night we went up to Orr, Mn to the Vince Shutte bear sanctuary. It is an open sanctuary where bears can come and go, no fences, and basically can get a meal! The workers walk amongst the bears putting food down for them. They had a special treat the night we were there, strawberries and yogurt chips! I think we saw around 50-60 bears feeding that night. Lots of cubs in the trees waiting for their mama's to tell them it was safe to come down! 



Day three found us out on the lake for a leisurely boat ride with Claire at the helm! 


That night Jim fired up the fire pit for a good old fashion weenie and marshmallow roast! 

We had to head out the next day and make the long 9 hour trek home. Claire did great in the car and instead of asking how long til we're home, asked how long til we can go back? We'll have to plan another trip so I can get Case's baby book done before he graduates from high school! 

No comments: