Friday, December 21, 2012

SNOW DAYS!

The last day of fall brought us Midwesterners a "life threatening storm" Apparently the worst storm since 1997. Can't say I remember 1997 all that well, thank goodness, as this storm was bad enough! The official total in Waukee was 11.5 inches with 45 MPH winds. It started Wednesday afternoon with freezing rain that turned into some very pretty snow, then stopped! Jeremy and I were both thinking, "Really? This is it?" Just in case Jeremy unburied the snow blower and I ran to the store for nothing in particular. Later that evening the "thunder snow" started, yes a thunderstorm during the blizzard. We got everyone tucked in and then the power went out! For some reason all I could think about was how was I going to get ready for work in the dark! Luckily it came back on around 5 am and I didn't have to go to work with nappy hair. School was cancelled Thursday and Friday with both kids somewhat upset as they missed their school winter parties. I made it to work Thursday and took my turn Friday to stay home with the kids. I love unexpected days home like this! We got our Christmas cookies for Santa made, frolicked in the snow, and finished up the present wrapping! 

















We have a busy weekend ahead! Wrestling tournament tomorrow, Christmas service at church tomorrow night, and work Sunday. Jeremy and I both got some time off while Carter is on Christmas break. We plan to do our same routine we do every year for Christmas. We spend Christmas eve at home. Jeremy cooks up a mean prime rib and crab leg dinner with all the fixins and we have a candlelight dinner at our dining room table (we only use it at Christmas!) Then the kids open their gifts from each other and their gift from Jeremy and I. We watch a Christmas movie in our pajamas and then its off to bed so Santa can come. In the morning, we see what goodies Santa left in our stocking and under the tree for the kids. Then we head off to Jeremy's mom's for brunch then to my parents for dinner then home again! We are so luckily to have family close we can spend time with everyone at the holidays. I love talking about Christmas traditions with people. One tradition we started when Carter was a baby was to only give 3 gifts. This has helped us keep our spending in check, and keeps the kids from asking for a million things. Baby Jesus received 3 gifts from the wise men, why should our kids receive any more? 

No comments: