Monday, December 15, 2008

Bowling, Blood, Bugs, Beaters, and bowls...of cereal

Although the title suggests these things may all go together ( and they probably could) it's just a sampling of what we have been up to the last couple of weeks. Last Saturday we took Carter bowling for the first time at Warrior Lanes, our little hometown bowling alley. Jeremy was a little leery to go bowling as every time he goes, he ends up hurting himself somehow. He is so competitive that he tries too hard and either throws his shoulder out or pulls a muscle. Well, I thought we were safe since his competition was a 3 year old and myself whose bowling average barely breaks 2 digits. This time his ring finger took a beating and I thought for sure he was going to call in sick to work because he couldn't bend his finger. After some ice and a lot of complaining, it seems to be better. Carter had a great time. We bowled 2 games, and during the second game, they turned out the lights so everything glowed which was pretty cool.
Carter also experienced his first bloody nose last week. I have to say he kinda deserved it. He has been told numerous times not to climb up the kitchen drawers to get something off the counter. Well, this time the counter won and he caught his face on the edge of it as he was trying to get down. Of course we made a big deal of it, pictures and all. After all the crying stopped, he said, " I can't wait to tell Miss Ashley at preschool that I got a bloody nose" Dad came to the rescue and pulled out one of his old wrestling tricks and stuffed a bunch of toilet paper up his nose.
I was home all last week with some crazy bug ( sorry no pictures) I was tested for strep throat and mono both and it all came back negative. When the Dr told me he was going to test me for mono I about passed out. All I could think about was "I can't have mono, I have 2 small children at home...are you crazy? Whatever it was, thankfully it is gone and so far (keep your fingers crossed) nobody else has had it yet.
We have started some holiday baking at our house. Most of the year sweets aren't allowed at our house, but we do get to enjoy some at Christmas time as we perfect our cookies for Santa Claus. Carter is such a good help if I bribe him with licking the beaters when we are done. He is learning how to measure things, crack eggs, and cut out cookies. He even helped Grandma Berry make some cinnamon Christmas ornaments and of course loaded our tree up with them.
I broke down last Sunday and bought some baby cereal for Claire. We've only found time to try it once and I think that has been enough for her too. She really wasn't too sure about it, and pushed most of it out of her mouth. Carter was brave enough to try it and reported it tasted like glue...hmmm, wonder how he know that.
The kids and I had plans today to go see Santa and finish up our shopping today, but old Mother Nature blessed us with some frigid temperatures with the wind chills topping out at -25. So we've spent the day bundled up at home with hot cocoa, movies, games and of course a nap, but I couldn't resist this picture of Claire all bundled up when we go out.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I love the pic of Carter with the toilet paper! :) Glad you are feeling better!

Michel Family said...

I love the picture of Claire all bundled up ready to go for a car ride.. I have one those little things for Logan, he doesn't seem to like it, he is always trying to kick it off when we go anywhere.. Bloody noses something for me to look foward to with Logan I hope he is more careful, but I doubt it since he is all boy.. Hope to see you the 28th, I think we are planning to make the trip..

Megan and Shawn said...

Thanks for the yummy hot chocolate! We've been having a cup every night and loving it. We hope you guys have a great holiday - and yes we will look forward to getting together when we get back in January. I hope you are all feeling good. Merry Christmas